Cracks in walls are common problems that can occur due to various factors, such as structural movement, weather changes or even poor application of putty. Fortunately, repairing these cracks is not a complicated task and can be done by yourself. Here are some simple solutions to repair cracks in a wall:
- Cleaning the affected area: Before starting the repair, make sure to clean the area around the crack well. Remove any loose particles, dust or dirt using a brush or soft cloth. This will ensure proper adhesion of the repair material.
- Opening the crack: Use a spatula or a utility knife to slightly open the crack in an inverted “V” shape. This will help to create a surface for filling with repair material. Make sure to remove any loose fragment or irregularities along the crack.
- Applying putty or repair material: Choose a suitable material to fill the crack. Putty or repair material are common options. Apply the material over the crack with a spatula, completely filling the open space. Smooth the surface to level it with the rest of the wall. If the crack is deep, it may be necessary to apply the material in layers, allowing drying time between each layer.
- Sanding the repaired area: After complete drying of the putty, use a fine sandpaper to smooth the repaired area. Sand gently, ensuring that the surface is levelled and without irregularities. Pay attention to obtaining a uniform finish and mixing the repaired area with the rest of the wall.
- Paint or final finish: Finish the repair by applying a coat of paint over the repaired area to match the rest of the wall. Make sure to use a paint suitable for the type of wall and desired finish. If necessary, apply two or more coats of paint to obtain complete and uniform coverage.
If the crack is persistent or recurrent, it may be advisable to consult a professional to evaluate the situation. In more serious cases, additional techniques such as reinforcement mesh insertion or hiring a professional mason for more complex repairs may be necessary.
With these simple steps, you can effectively repair cracks in your wall. Remember to be patient and follow the instructions of the products used. With a little effort, your wall will be back in great condition, free of cracks and with a renewed appearance.